Assistive technology (AT) is any item, piece of equipment, or product system that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities for someone with a disability or long-term health condition. In other words, AT devices make everyday work and life easier, and make impossible tasks possible.
Agricultural modifications may vary depending on the type of disability and farm operation. Many solutions exist, including manufactured or modified devices and structures, or modified work practices. Some examples include:
- Larger, slip-resistant steps to help access a tractor
- Ergonomic seats to provide back support
- Use of feed carts instead of wheelbarrows in feeding operations
- Hitching systems designed to reduce the number of times on and off equipment
- Mobility aides such as action trackchairs, utility vehicles, and all-terrain vehicles
- Modifying equipment with hand controls or visual and hearing impairment aids